The Historic Farmhouse
Click here for The Ponds Historic photo gallery.
Click here to view pictures of the Farmhouse Kitchen garden.
The only surviving structure from this site's long history beginning in 1682, The Historic Farmhouse, is The Conservancy's focal point. This structure was actually the third farmhouse built on site. Structural details suggests that is was built in the 1830s or possibly in the Queen Anne era of the late 19th century. The last family to live in the farmhouse was the Simmons Family. Read more about The Ponds History here.
In 2006, seeking valuable feedback from the State Historic Preservation Office, Greenwood Communities and Resorts set out to preserve this important part of history. The renovation first began with moving the house about 200 feet, followed by creating a new foundation, rebuilding the chimneys and wooden windows, reinstalling the marble walkway, and rebuilding the kitchen wing from found beams and wood flooring. Daryl Cobb and Cobb Architects headed the project. "We didn't want to replicate the originals but to be suggestive of the original buildings in terms of shape, form, texture and materials," Cobb says. "We just kept it minimalistic. We wanted the farmhouse to be the main object of interest. It's just the opposite of what architects want to do. We want to build trophies. We had to train ourselves to back off."
The Historic Farmhouse is the main amenity center the community. Five other buildings were built around the farmhouse mirroring its design: the picnic pavilion, two pool buildings, a storage shed and a sales resource center cottage. The Carolina community at the Ponds has restored the early 1900's farmhouse that captures the essence of The Ponds and compliements the other Summerville homes.
Of even greater note than the Historic Farmhouse is that less than half of the 2,000 acres at The Ponds will actually be built on. Read more about The Conservancy here.